Take It Outside™ – Carbon Monoxide Kills

If you own a portable generator, always remember to Take It Outside™. Portable generators release carbon monoxide – an odorless, colorless gas that can kill if you run your generator inside your home, garage, shed or basement. That’s why the only safe place to run a portable generator is outdoors and away from windows and doors. Here are some tips to help ensure your safety!

1. Always read the owner’s manual first

Before starting your portable generator it’s important to read the operator’s manual and follow the manufacturer’s recommended precautions and procedures. Never operate a generator indoors.

2. Stay alert with carbon monoxide detectors

Carbon monoxide detectors will alert your family before toxic levels are reached. Make sure your alarm meets current UL 2034 safety standards and check the battery regularly.

3. Keep it away from windows and doors

To prevent emission from drifting indoors, always place your portable generator as far as possible away from doors and windows.

4. Point fumes away from nearby people

Since portable generators sit in one place and run for an extended time, it’s important to place it downwind and point the engine exhaust away from any nearby people.

5. Know the symptoms

Know the symptoms. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath and fatigue. If you experience symptoms, get to fresh air immediately and if it worsens, contact emergency services as soon as possible.

6. If you feel the symptoms, leave right away

Very high levels of carbon monoxide can cause victims to lose consciousness. So, if you experience symptoms, don’t attempt to turn off the generator before moving to fresh air. If symptoms begin to worsen, contact emergency services as soon as possible.

Previous article DeWALT FLEXVOLT - Our Most Advanced System